Nutritious need not be bland and boring. This recipe is the culinary version of a remix—or maybe it’s a mash-up, an irresistible combo of sweet potatoes (raw or baked) and red beans. Your taste buds will be dancing.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 large sweet potato (or your preference of potato), cooked, peeled, and diced 1/2 tsp dried thyme 1/2 tsp dried oregano 1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed salt and ground pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
4. Stir in the sweet potato, thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place the beans in a bowl and mash them with a fork or potato ricer.
6.Add the mashed beans to the skillet and stir to combine with the onion mixture.
7. Then, cook for about 10 minutes, turning frequently, and pressing the spatula down on the mixture, until the bottom is lightly crisped and browned when turned.
8. Serve hot.
Chef's Tip: For this recipe, the sweet potato should be tender but still firm enough to dice. If you don’t have a cooked sweet potato (or the 45 minutes to an hour it takes to bake one), you can use whichever potatoes you've got in your kitchen and microwave one in minutes. Pierce the potato with a fork in three places. Place the potato on a microwavable plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes, rotating halfway through.You may need to microwave it a minute or two longer, depending on the size of the potato, until it is tender.
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s newsletter and never miss the best content.
Get everything you need to live healthy and happy.
Click here to sign up.