1 large onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lbs rib eye or round steak, thinly sliced (1/8 inch or less)
1 tsp red wine vinegar
16 slices provolone
4 sub rolls, split and toasted
1. Preheat the broiler in the oven.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, and salt to taste and sauté until they’re softened and the mushrooms begin to brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Turn the heat under the skillet up to high.
4. Season the meat aggressively with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, add meat to the hot pan and cook, without turning, until dark brown on the first side, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the steaks, cook briefly and push to the side of the pan to give you room to cook more of the meat. Repeat until all the meat is cooked, then splash the vinegar in the pan, and cook until the vinegar is gone, probably another 30 seconds.
5. Divide the cheese among the sub rolls, then top with the meat and the onion mixture. Place the sandwiches under the broiler to melt the cheese. Serve and enjoy!
*This recipe makes 4 sandwiches. Cut them in half for 8 servings.
newsletter and never
miss the best content.
Get everything you
need to live healthy
and happy. Click here to sign up.