2 lbs ground beef
3 medium onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 cups water
2 cups basic tomato sauce
1 tsp hot sauce, or more to taste
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1 lb (1 box) spaghetti
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, drained and heated, optional
12 oz cheddar cheese, finely shredded
oyster crackers for serving
1. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high.
2. Brown the ground beef until it's well broken up.
3. Add garlic and 2/3 of the onions. Sauté until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
4. Add water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
5. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring regularly to break up the beef.
6. Add tomato sauce, hot sauce, chili powder, cinnamon, and cumin.
7. Cover and let simmer, at least 2 hours.
8. Stir in oregano.
9. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
10. Put a serving of spaghetti on a plate. Top it with a generous ladleful of chili—make that two ladlefuls. (If you prefer, add kidney beans and/or some of the remaining chopped onion.)
11. Cover each plate with handful of cheese.
12. Serve with oyster crackers and enjoy!
newsletter and never
miss the best content.
Get everything you
need to live healthy
and happy. Click here to sign up.