Please everyone at you dinner table with this quick and easy sauce recipe. Use vine-ripe tomatoes from your local farmers’ market or grab from your local supermarket. Pair the homemade sauce with penne – or any other pasta of your choosing – and don't forget to include plenty of basil for flavor!
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 lbs ripe tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1 lb dried penne (or pasta of your choice)
freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat the oil in a wide, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it is fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. While the onion mixture is cooking, core the tomatoes and cut them into 3/4-inch dice, saving the juices. When the garlic is fragrant, add the diced tomatoes and their juices, season to taste with salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook at a brisk simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomato juices have thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Add the penne to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions until the pasta is al dente. Drain well.
5. Stir the basil into the sauce. Transfer the penne to a large serving bowl. Add the sauce and mix well. Serve immediately with the Parmigiano passed on the side.
newsletter and never
miss the best content.
Get everything you
need to live healthy
and happy. Click here to sign up.