This is a great meal when you’re looking for a smaller plate and a bigger impact. The apples, beets, and farro fill you up and keep you satisfied so you don’t reach for any snacks. And eating this with a fork and a knife will make you more mindful of what you’re actually eating.
1 large beet, boiled, peeled, and diced
1 large gold beet, boiled, peeled, and diced
1 crisp/tart apple, diced
1/4 cup farro
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp chopped pistachios
2 sliced scallions
salt and pepper
1. Season halibut fillets with salt and pepper. Brush with a very small amount of oil and reserve.
2. In a large saucepan bring 2 quarts of salted water to a simmer and cook beets until fork tender, about 30-40 minutes. Cool beets to room temperature and peel and dice.
3. In a small saucepan, cover farro with 1 cup lightly salted water and cook until tender and almost all of the water has absorbed, about 20 minutes.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sliced scallions, and pistachios. Add warm farro, beets, and apples and toss everything to form a warm grain salad. Reserve.
5. Grill halibut over medium-high heat until tender and flaky, about 5 minutes per side. Split farro salad between 2 plates and top each with a piece of halibut. Garnish with extra scallions.