1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp no-salt seasoning
1/2 cup brown rice
1/4 cup un-hulled sesame seeds
1/4 cup unsulfered dried apricots soaked in 1/2 cup water overnight
1/4 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
2 tbsp fresh chopped ginger
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp arrowroot powder
2 tbsp water
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
4 cups small broccoli florets
2 medium carrots, cut diagonally
4 medium red bell peppers
1 cup sugar snap peas or snow peas
2 cups bok choy, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cups fresh mushrooms
1 lb fresh spinach
raw cashews, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 lb romaine lettuce, shredded
1. Marinate the tofu for 30 minutes in the liquid aminos, red pepper flakes and seasoning.
2. While the tofu marinates, combine rice and 1 1/4 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 30 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss the marinated tofu with the sesame seeds. Bake the sesame-coated tofu in a nonstick baking pan for 30 minutes.
4. To make the sauce, place the soaked apricots with the soaking liquid, peanut butter, ginger, garlic, VegiZest, vinegar, arrow root powder, and red pepper flakes in a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
5. Heat water in a large pan and water sauté the onion, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, and peas for 5 minutes, adding more water as necessary to keep vegetables from scorching. Add the bok choy and mushrooms, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender. Remove the cover and cook off most of the water. Add the spinach and toss until wilted.
6. Add the sauce and stir until all the vegetables are glazed and the sauce is hot and bubbly, about 1 minute. Mix in the cashews and baked tofu. Serve the stir fry over the shredded lettuce along with 1/4 cup rice per person.
Variation: Stir-fry beans or small pieces of chicken breast or shrimp (2 oz/person) with the vegetables.
newsletter and never
miss the best content.
Get everything you
need to live healthy
and happy. Click here to sign up.