1/2 yellow onion ( diced )
2 cloves garlic ( minced )
kosher salt and black pepper ( to taste )
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
5 sprigs of parsley ( chopped )
1 large egg ( lightly whisked )
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups tomato sauce
1 pack of 12 pull-apart dinner rolls
1 lb low-moisture ( part-skim mozzarella, thinly sliced )
2 tbsp unsalted butter ( melted )
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the onion and the garlic and cook until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat and cool completely.
2. Place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl and cover with the milk. Let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Place the beef and pork into a large mixing bowl. Add the parsley, eggs, breadcrumb mixture, cooled onions and garlic, and the 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and form into 12 meatballs.
4. Heat a large, low-sided sauce pot, add the tomato sauce, and bring to a simmer. Gently add the meatballs and cover, simmering until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
5. Preheat the broiler to low.
6. Split the entire package of rolls in half lengthwise and place both halves with the cut sides up on a baking sheet and toast for about a minute until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Turn the oven to 375° F.
8. Place the mozzarella slices evenly on the bottom rolls and then top with the meatballs and some sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and then top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Place the bread tops over the meatballs and brush with the butter and top with garlic powder, salt, and a little more Parmesan if you’d like.
9. Place the sheet pan back into the oven and bake until the bread is toasty and the cheese has melted (about 15 minutes). Serve warm.
newsletter and never
miss the best content.
Get everything you
need to live healthy
and happy. Click here to sign up.