Meet Dr. Eisenberg!

Dr. Marc Sabin Eisenberg, M.D., is co-author of the book "Am I Dying?!: A Complete Guide to Your Symptoms and What to Do Next" and co-host of the "Am I Dying?!" podcast, which provides light-hearted advice for the hypochondriac in all of us. He is also an associate professor of medicine at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City.

With his new column "Rounds With Dr. E," he'll debunk those familiar health proverbs our mothers told us (wear a coat or you'll catch a cold!), and decode all your different symptoms — from the everyday mundane to the down-right strange.


Will eating chocolate really make you break out? Probably not. Did you search your symptom online and decide you're dying of a rare disease? Definitely yes. Dr. E is making the rounds to prescribe a chill pill or send you to the doctor's office.

Listen to an episode of "Am I Dying?!" below. It's available to download wherever you get your audio content.

Doctors call them "zebras" — the weird, unexpected symptoms or diagnoses that we usually only read about in books. In this episode, the doctors cover some of the stranger symptoms they've ever heard of, and what diseases they typically indicate.

Don't Use Your Heater or Fireplace Before Reading These Life-Saving Tips

Don't risk getting sick — or worse — from poorly maintained or ventilated heater.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is no laughing matter (that's nitric oxide laughing gas for those of you who love frequenting the dentist). As people are heading inside for the fall and turning on their heaters and fireplaces, we may all be at risk. Carbon monoxide gas is both odorless and colorless; therefore, learning what symptoms to heed may save your life. Truly, carbon monoxide poisoning can kill not only you and your family but also your lovable furry friends.

CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

Causes

According to the CDC, more than 400 people die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning (not related to fires) yearly in our country. More than 20,000 visit the ER for it. Carbon monoxide is produced by burning wood and fuels such as gasoline, propane and charcoal. In fact, in addition to both gas and wood-burning fireplaces, many of our common household fuel-burning appliances such as water heaters, gas stoves and ovens, furnaces and boilers, and clothes dryers can be the source of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, particularly if not well maintained and vented. Be sure all these appliances and spaces in your home are up to date on maintenance and the areas are properly ventilated.

Keep Reading Show less