Learn how the Total 10 Rapid Weight-Loss Plan works and get tips to make the diet work for you.
The Total 10 Rapid Weight-Loss Plan is an easy-to-follow diet program that delivers results in two weeks! “It has worked for so many people that I know personally, including much of my staff,” says Dr. Oz. “The underlying philosophy is very solid and reflects the best ideas we have heard on the show over the past six seasons.”
To get the best results, the rules are simple. Follow these guidelines closely and you will be on your way to weight loss success:
What you can eat on the plan:
- Protein: 12 oz. of chicken, fish, turkey or eggs. Aim for 4 oz. per meal.
- Carbs: ½ cup of cooked quinoa per day. It’s the only carb allowed on the plan because it’s a perfect mix of protein and carbs.
- Fats: Good fats (olive oil, avocado, coconut oil) in moderation.
- Dairy: 1 cup of 2% plain Greek yogurt per day is optional and the only dairy allowed on the plan. The probiotics in Greek yogurt help promote skinny bacteria in your gut.
- Vegetables: Unlimited amount of non-starchy vegetables.
- Detox broth: Unlimited amount of the vegetable broth.
- Optional snacks: Two snacks per day.
- Caffeine: One cup of coffee per day. Use unsweetened vanilla almond milk or coconut milk as a sweetener.
What you can’t eat on the plan:
- Artificial sweeteners (no diet soda)
- White sugar
- Processed foods
- Dairy (except Greek yogurt)
Why Dr. Oz thinks you should try Total 10:
Many viewers have failed on diets because they don’t understand the role of inflammation and hormones on their fat. Experts on our show have argued that our bodies hold on to fat as a protective mechanism when we feel toxic. Getting hormones to help rather than hinder you allows the weight loss to be elegant and easy. Trust this approach for two weeks, and not only will you lose weight, but you will develop a lifestyle approach to gain the body you deserve without the usual pain we expect from diets.
How to follow the plan:
- Drink a hot cup of water with lemon to kick-start your digestion process for the day. This will also increase detoxification because the bitterness of the lemon activates the bile flow, which helps emulsify and remove fat-soluble toxins.
- You can also drink green tea or the allowed one cup of coffee per day, if necessary.
- Take a multivitamin with 1000 IU of vitamin D.
- Drink one of the three Total 10 smoothie recipes. They’ll keep you full until lunchtime.
- Or eat one of these Total 10 breakfast recipes. They’re packed with protein to keep you energized and hold you over throughout the morning.
- Aim for 6 oz. of protein (or 4 oz. if you already had 4 oz. at breakfast) at lunch. Start your meal with a protein base such as ground chicken, ground turkey or fish.
- Add mix-ins from the Total 10 shopping list to build your meal or try a Total 10 protein bowl when you’re craving a specific cuisine.
- If you’re hungry during the afternoon, eat one of the satisfying snacks created especially for the Total 10 Rapid Weight-Loss Plan. You can also eat nutritious snacks such as 2 tbsp. hummus, pickles, one serving of unsalted nuts (22 nuts or two handfuls), an apple with 2 tbsp. nut butter, or a cup of Greek yogurt. If you choose to eat nut butter, pass on peanut butter because it’s difficult for people to control themselves when eating it. Almond butter is your best bet. Also, don’t eat nuts on the same day that you eat nut butter.
- You can also satiate yourself in the afternoon with the vegetable broth. Have as much as you want to feel full.
- Just as you did at lunch, aim for 6 oz. of protein at dinner (or 4 oz. if you had 4 oz. at both breakfast and lunch). Use a base of 4 oz. of lean beef, poultry or fish and add mix-ins from the Total 10 shopping list. Remember, you can eat unlimited amounts of the non-starchy vegetables. If you’re unsure of how to add protein to your meal, remember to substitute protein where you’d normally have simple carbs.
- Eat a Total 10 protein bowl or make a meal of your choice like salmon with asparagus and cauliflower rice.
- Get your sugar fix without eating sugar when you make the Total 10-approved Chocolate Fudge, Cinnamon Pumpkin Mousse or Banana-Chocolate Ice Cream recipes.
- You can only eat the dessert once a week.
- Dessert counts as a snack, so don’t eat it if you’ve already had two snacks that day.
- Don’t eat meals between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- Take a detox bath each evening. Fill your bathtub with hot water–sweating helps with circulation and lymph drainage to get the toxins out of your body. Then add two cups of Epsom salt and a cup of baking soda. The Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate, which absorbs through the skin and can help with the detoxification process, while the baking soda refreshes and softens your dry skin. Soak for 30 minutes in your tub and enjoy!
Total 10 Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t have time to make the vegetable broth, you can use 5 quarts of boxed, low-sodium, organic vegetable broth.
- Buy a rotisserie chicken, skin and shred it to cut down on prep time.
- If you’re craving carbs make these “carb cheats”: zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice. They’ll satisfy you and taste delicious, too!
- Substitute cinnamon for sugar.
- Eat the allowed one apple per day as a snack to serve as a crutch when you’re in need of something sweet.
- To supercharge weight loss, skip the ½ cup of quinoa allowed per day in the diet.