2/3 cup water
1/3 medium yellow or white onion, diced
1/3 16 oz jar chunky salsa
1/3 15 oz can black beans, drained slightly
1/3 tbsp chili powder (optional)
1/3 tbsp ground cumin (optional)
1/8 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
1/4 cup water
2/3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2/3 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Start on the chili by adding onions to a large pot. Cook over medium heat until they become soft and translucent.
2. Add your choice of optional spices and cook for three minutes.
3. Add vegetables stock, 2/3 cup of water, and salsa and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Add black beans. Cover pot and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
5. To make cashew sour cream, place cashews in a blender with 1/4 cup of water, fresh lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. If using a high-speed blender, use the sauce setting for a smooth cream. Chill it before serving.
6. Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado, and/or cashew sour cream.
**Note: Cashew sour cream can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. If you forget to soak the cashews overnight (or between four to eight hours), you can soak them for one hour in hot water and prepare the cashew cream while black beans are simmering. Keep in mind that cashews are a high-calorie density food and should be used in moderation by those who want to lose weight.
newsletter and never
miss the best content.
Get everything you
need to live healthy
and happy. Click here to sign up.