Slim down your belly with this meal plan and bonus exercises for your belly type.
Getting a tighter tummy isn’t a one-size-fits-all plan. Follow Dr. Oz’s meal plans and exercises specific to your belly type to help minimize your middle.
The Pooch Belly
You have a pooch belly if your fat settles in the front lower part of your belly.
- Have one serving of foods containing zinc and magnesium at every meal to help regulate your testosterone and build muscle in your lower belly. Great sources of zinc and magnesium include canned oysters, almonds, soybeans, low-fat yogurt and wheat germ cereal.
- Fill a quarter of your plate with protein at every meal. Protein is the one-two punch that will help you burn calories faster to blast that fat. Eat eggs and chicken for your protein fix.
Bonus Tip: TheLose the Pooch Yoga Move
Lie flat on the ground and put your hands under your back for support. Lift your legs straight in the air, then slowly let them down, but don’t let them hit the ground.
The Muffin Top Belly
You have a muffin top belly if your fat hangs over your pants around your waist.
- Eliminate simple sugars from your diet. Increased levels of cortisol from the simple sugars cause the body to become primed to reach for these sweets, sending fat straight to your muffin top. Sources of simple sugars include white bread, white pasta, white rice, cookies and cakes.
- Eat one cup of complex carbs first thing in the morning because they release serotonin gradually and keep your blood sugar steady. They also make you feel calmer and fuller longer. Complex carbs can be found in whole-grain breads and pastas, steel-cut oatmeal, butternut squash, bell peppers, green beans and carrots.
- Eat three servings of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) per day. MUFAS are plant-based fats and help control your blood sugar. You can find them in avocados, olive oil, cashews, almond butter, dark chocolate and coconut oil.
Bonus Tip: The Muffin-Melting Mantra
Choose a calming word and repeat it to yourself out loud. Do this when you start feeling stressed. If your mind wanders, simply focus back on the word.
The Bloated Belly
You have a bloated belly if your stomach is a bulge that distributes itself evenly throughout your entire belly and changes size throughout the day.
- Eat one serving each day of bloat-busting foods like ginger (helps dissolve gas), pineapple (helps aid digestion) and parsley (helps eliminate toxins) or fermented foods that contain probiotics, like sauerkraut, miso and pickles.
Bonus Tip: Turn Your Day Upside Down
Most people eat a small breakfast, a medium-sized lunch and a big dinner, but this approach builds up bulk in your belly throughout the day. Reverse your routine to eat your biggest meal first and your smallest meal last.