More than 100 people reportedly fell ill after eating at one of the burrito chain’s restaurants.
More than 100 people have reported symptoms of food poisoning and diarrhea after eating at a Chipotle restaurant in Powell, Ohio, according to news reports.
Chipotle temporarily closed the Powell store. “We acted quickly and closed this single restaurant out of an abundance of caution yesterday,” the company’s chief communications officer, Laurie Schalow, told Reuters. “We are working with the local health department and we plan to reopen this restaurant today.”
No similar problems have been reported at other restaurant locations. The Delaware General Health District in Ohio is reportedly investigating the restaurant after receiving more than 100 calls about the issue.
The current problem in Ohio caused Chipotle's stock to fall by more than 8 percent. An E. coli outbreak that affected 22 people in 2015 caused the chain to close 43 restaurants in the Pacific Northwest.