Meet Dr. Philip! Want to see more of America's most eligible doctors? Browse our gallery.
Name: Brian Philip
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Place of Practice: Ramapo Anesthesiologists, Suffern, NY
Why did you want to become a doctor?
I wanted to help my family members whom were afflicted with chronic diseases get rid of their ailments. I did not want to see them suffer any more so I vowed to help them. My family/friends/Church has not only motivated me to pursue a career in medicine, but they have also been my strength and support system.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
Healthy lifestyles are difficult for members in today’s society to maintain. But since we know the importance of fitness and exercise, the best way to encourage patients to actually pursue these avenues is to continue having doctors serve as healthy role models for patients. I am a very big advocate of trying to live a healthy lifestyle and I strongly encourage my patients to also pursue this avenue.
In addition, I have a myriad of hobbies which include singing, martial arts, archery, dancing, kick boxing class instructor, teaching women's self-defense workshops, diabetes/hypertension education through the organization "The Strong Movement", archery, drawing and cooking.
What are your tips for living longer?
1. Whether or not it’s the Insanity workout, Focusmaster g-1000, Zumba, or high intensity kickboxing, you should choose exercises that you enjoy. Exercising should not be a horrible suffering task. It should be fun and challenging at the same time. Choosing exercises that work for you will allow you to be consistent and will move you towards achieving a longer life.
2. Never focus on one particular aspect: It’s not diet or exercise it has to be diet and exercise. If you only choose to focus on your diet you will completely forget about exercise and if you choose to focus only on exercising you will forget about your diet. It has to be an equal effort. This mindset will guide you and help you to purse a longer life.
3. Surround yourself with good people and remove negative individuals from your life. A positive mental health is an important part of moving towards a longer life
4. Always challenge your mind and continue learning.
5. Quality sleep is essential for living a longer better life.