Are you still not seeing the results you want to see? Here are the five metabolism death foods you need to switch out of your diet!
It’s really unsatisfying to stick to an exercise program, make the right diet changes, and still not see the results you want to see. Has that ever been you? It can be really frustrating.
The reason this can happen is even though you think you’re consuming a healthy food , you might have some hidden food in your diet that is ruining your weight loss efforts.
The foods that keep you from losing the last 10 pounds and keep you stuck at a plateau are what I call the metabolism death foods! The term may sound scary, and it can be. And the craziest thing about these foods is that they are often labeled as “health foods”.
Here are the five metabolism death foods you need to switch out of your diet to take your metabolism and fat burning potential to the next level!
Metabolism Death Foods
There are five main foods that can absolutely ruin your weight loss efforts. I call these the metabolism death foods. You will want to remove and replace these foods with healthy alternatives if you want to see quick results.
1. Fruit Juice - Contrary to popular belief, fat isn’t the first thing that will make you fat, it’s consuming too much sugar. Drinking fruit juice and consuming too much sugar will absolutely wreck your metabolism!
Fruit juice – including most apple, orange and grape juice – is basically chemically laden sugar water! I know something like apple juice sounds healthy, but some manufacturers turn apples into juice by adding in sugar, food coloring and flavorings. That is the apple juice you buy today.
One 8-ounce glass of fruit juice contains 30 grams of sugar where a soda contains 28 grams of sugar!
Also, you should avoid other forms of sugar, which can hide under names like: corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, juice concentrate, maltodextrin, raw sugar and brown sugar.
What to do instead: To replace fruit juice I recommend making homemade lemonade mixing real lemon juice, water and stevia. Kombucha is another great option as (nature’s sports drink!) is another great option!
2. Whole Grains - Whole grains may be the #1 offender when it comes to ruining your metabolism and weight loss efforts. I know it may seem like “whole grains” like wheat bread are healthy but most are far from helping your metabolism.
Three of the main compounds in grains hurt your metabolism include gluten, starch and phytic acid. Gluten can cause inflammation, starch turns into sugar quickly and phytic acid binds to minerals so you’re not getting most of the minerals and vitamins from whole grains that could have helped your metabolism.
What to do instead: A better option for fat loss is replacing your daily intake of grains with fruits and vegetables or consuming up to one piece daily of a sprouted grain bread or sourdough. Also, the best flour replacement to use instead of wheat flour is coconut flour. Coconut flour is a dieters best friend because it’s high in fiber which supports rapid fat loss and contains fats your body can burn as fuel.
3. Canola Oil - Using the wrong type of oil can keep you from losing that last 10 pounds and put a halt to any results you might see. Canola oil contains hydrogenated oils which may cause inflammation throughout the entire body disrupting your hormones and metabolism.
What to do instead: Replace all vegetables oils with coconut oil and grass-fed butter to boost your metabolism. I always say, butter is your belly’s best friend. Grass-fed butter supports metabolism because it is high in CLA and coconut oil supports fat loss because it’s high in MCFA’s.
4. Peanut Butter - Yes, peanut butter is tasty, but it can also ruin your gut health. Peanuts are grown on the soil and stored moist in silos which then cause them to grow a type of fungus called aflatoxins which can effect the health of your gut.
Peanuts are one of the most common allergens today and have been linked to food sensitivities, leaky gut and a slow metabolism. Also, peanuts are very high in omega-6 fatty acids which may cause serious inflammation in the body. For these many reasons, peanut butter is a metabolism death food!
What to do instead: If you want to start revving up your metabolism then make a switch to almond butter. Almonds are high in an amino acid L-arginine which increases HGH production in your body. This is turn causes your body to build lean muscle which sends your metabolism sky high!
Just one tablespoon spoon of almond butter with celery, in a smoothie or with some apples are great snacks to re-ignite your metabolism.
5. Granola - This “health food” has had a health halo around it for years but it’s secretly been hiding as a wolf in sheep’s clothing that kills your metabolism.
Today’s granola has many issues in that it’s made up of whole grains and sugar. Now what’s most surprising about granola is that the processed honey in it is a major cause of weight gain. A study at Texas A&M University tested honey and found 76% of it contained no pollen whatsoever and it had been high temperature pasteurized so it is no better than corn syrup!
What to do instead: A great replacement to store bough granola is to make homemade sprouted granola. Simply soak almonds, pecans, cashews and chia seeds in water for eight hours then set them out for a day on a paper towel. Then mix these ingredients with raw local honey, raisins, coconut flakes, cinnamon and sea salt. Place them in a dehydrator or oven and you have a great tasting metabolism boosting snack.